A Mercenary in Camelot Ch. 2
Starring Katie McGrath
By Harbinger
Tags: Fantasy, M/F, masturbation, fingering
Disclaimer: *This story is original plot and mostly original characters. It does retain the beautiful Katie McGrath in her roll of Morgana Pendragon as she was in BBC's "Merlin." It's an intro chapter, so it's light on the erotic aspect, but there will be more to come.*

I woke up in the morning, and the first thought to enter my damaged mind was whether or not yesterday had all been a dream. Even before I opened my eyes, I questioned whether I would still be rocking on the waves in Hjorleif's ship. It took my senses little time to come to and tell me I was not on a cold sea, but that I was indeed on a soft bed with warm furs over me.

I opened my eyes to see the oiled canvas top of a tent over me, the sunlight unable to fully break in. I turned my head, and laying on her side with her head resting on her hand was Lady Morgana.

"So I was not deceived by my dreams," I whispered, not wanting to break the spell of the morning.

She smiled at me and placed a hand over my own. "Were you in fear of waking to something else?"

I nodded. "I somewhat expected to wake to a creaking ship, nowhere near the arms of a beautiful maiden," I responded.

"Had it been a dream, would you say it would have been a pleasant dream?" she questioned, mirth in her eyes.

"Aye. It would have been the best dream, a dream I would have spent all of the next night trying to recapture."

This answer pleased the lady, for she leaned over and pressed her lips to my head. "Such a sweet man for one deadly with a blade."

I chuckled at her and said, "I follow a man who is for hire, but that does not intrinsically make me a brute, does it?"

"No," Morgana answered, "Tis only the reputation your profession is known for."

"That is fair, I suppose. Certainly, I have met some brutish folk that do what I do," I yielded.

"Not you, however," she said, running her hand through the hair on my chest. "You appear to be kind, yet strong. You are gallant, yet are worldly. You know the touch of a woman, yet do not take her or her touches for granted." She tilted her head and her eyes looked at me then. "You are quite the young man, Cadoc, and I hope to learn more of you as we travel. I also hope that we may see much of each other in Camelot."

"I wish that too, Lady. Only one night is not nearly long enough to enjoy your company," I said.

"No, ‘tis not. We shall also have to find ways to share more mornings like this."

"Oh?" I questioned.

"Indeed," she answered with a smirk on her pretty lips. "‘Twould mean we had most likely past more nights like the one just behind us."

I had no answer to give the fair lady, but a smile that graced her visage told me there had been some tell to my face, and she laughed adorably at my expense.

"‘Twould appear that you would not mind that either, no?"

"I would not mind at all, my lady. ‘Twould be a most enjoyable way to pass a night, and a most pleasant way to come into the day," I responded, both of our voices still low in the early morning.

"I believe we still have some time before the rest of the camp stirs. Once I have awakened, I lack the ability to fall back to slumber, I am afraid," she informed me, and I looked at her expectantly, my hands pillowing my head.

"How would you like to pass the morning, your majesty?" I asked in sincerity.

"Shall we pass it here in the privacy of my tent, or would you be willing to join me for a walk about the area?" the lady Morgana asked, now fully sitting.

"Whatever your preference, my lady. I am but your humble servant," I said, my hand still in hers.

She smiled at me brightly and took my hand, kissing the back of it. "Such manners for a sell-sword."

"I may be a sell-sword, but I am loyal to Sir Hjorleif. He has been like a father to me since I joined his band. My sharp sword goes wherever he bades it strike," I informed her.

"You are quite noble," she said with firm face and calculating eyes. "‘Tis rare these days to find such a man. Your qualities will be welcome in Camelot, and you shall be in good company within our walls. But tell me, Cadoc," she whispered as she leaned in close, her dark hair falling around my face, "can you handle a lady as well as you handle a sword?"

"A man is his own harshest assessor, so perhaps I should let you judge," I offered. I half sat up so that I could meet her half way, and just as our lips touched, we were pulled apart by the words of Sir Gawain.

"My lady, we should begin preparation for the road. ‘Tis a long day ahead of us, and I suggest we get an early start."

Morgana quickly kissed me again and groaned before answering the man. "Very well Sir Gawain. We will strike camp on your order, and be to the road. Do raise Sir Hjorleif and his men so that they may join us."

"Of course, my lady. Sir Hjorleif is already about, and I shall have him gather his men."

"Very good," Morgana answered.

She looked to me and pouted as I sat up. "Unfortunately, good Sir Gawain has seen fit to ruin our fun before I could properly test your skills. Perhaps we may try tonight?" she asked with a gleam in her eye.

"If my lady so wishes to share her tent again, I am at her service and willing to work for my lodging," I played back as I pulled my tunic over my head.

"I accept your services willingly," she said with a full smile. "‘Tis difficult to find reliable hands sometimes," she quipped.

I leaned in close and kissed her. "I assure you, my lady, I know how to use my hands quite well," I told her before kissing her once more and sneaking out by the back of the tent.

---

Once camp was struck and our small party was on the road, we set out under cover of a thick green canopy, woods on our flanks.

"I do not like this," Hjorleif murmured almost to himself.

"Is something the matter?" I asked, looking about us at the trees.

"No, but something could very well be at any time, and we would only have the hair on the backs of our necks to tell us," Otarr said, his hand straying to his belt where his ax would usually be.

"Should we expect trouble?" Vladi asked, walking on his toes, seeing further ahead than we could, given his great height.

"We are traveling with a princess, with only a small guard, and unarmed. The gods are sleeping if they decide not to catch us unprepared like this," Hjorleif responded.

"Is everything okay back there?" Sir Gawain questioned as he rode back to us.

"At the moment," Hjorleif answered. "I would feel much better if my friends and I were properly armed."
"You are not prisoners, but unfortunately we have no spare weapons save camp axes," the older knight said.

"Those would suffice," Hjorleif said. "Tis better than nothing."

One of the men at arms retrieved the simple axes from the back of one of the wagons and armed us. Hjorleif also received a dagger from Sir Gawain. If we were to be ambushed at least now we would have some ability to defend ourselves. Shields would have been most welcome, but we would make do.

The day wore on, and nothing of note transpired until about midday when we came by a river.

"Sir Gawain, may we take a brief respite and spend some time by the water?" the Lady Morgana asked, though it was really a politely veiled order.

"Of course, your majesty. Your wishes are our commands," he said humbly, and we followed the lady down to the river.

Her men at arms dismounted and the party relaxed on the bank for some time, allowing us to have midday meal.

"Hjorleif and company, would you be willing to lunch with us?" Morgana asked, an apple in her hand.

"Should there be enough provisions, we would certainly be obliged."

Our gracious host smiled warmly and snapped her fingers, and soon we were all eating together, we mercenaries, the princess of Camelot, the legendary Sir Gawain, and the men at arms.

"Are we much further from Camelot?" Hjorleif asked anyone who would answer, his eyes focused on the bread, cheese, and dates on a wooden trencher set before him.

"No, Sir Hjorleif, we are not. We should be there by the morning," Gawain himself answered. "Ready to be off the long road?"

"Aye," Hjorleif responded, his mouth full. "And ready to be behind walls while I'm as unarmed as I am."

"I understand," Gawain nodded.

"What of you, Cadoc?" Lady Morgana asked me, her head tilted from the side. "You do not look to be one of these Northmen, nor do you entirely sound of them. How do you feel about great cities?"

"You are correct, your highness. I am of Cornwall, born in these lands," I told her. "I too wish to see Camelot, and will be grateful for the securities it provides."

"Ah, one of the Celtic folk?" Gawain asked, his interest now peeked.

"Aye," I confirmed. "I joined Hjorleif's warband because fighting with him is more… lucrative, than fighting for any of Cornwall's minor lords."

"There could be much coin for you lot in Camelot, truly," Morgana told us. "Whether it be through tourneys or military service. Honorable, reputable mercenaries such as yourselves could be very comfortable among us."

"So you say?" asked Hjorleif, leaning back in the grass on his forearms now that his belly was full.

"Indeed," she confirmed. "My brother always needs new men at arms or experienced soldiers for the war up north." Morgana paused, then looked at me, and said, "I too am somewhat shorthanded on personal guard. There have been some attempts on my life since it has become known I am… a woman of magical talent."

Hjorleif's eyes widened, but he stayed where he sat. "I can see how Christians would have a problem with that. However, my kin have no such qualms about those obviously given gifts by the gods."

Gawain said nothing this entire time, but I could tell by his rigid manner that he was uncomfortable with this current line of talk.

"For the right coin, we could be persuaded to stay in Camelot for a time, or go north. We would also be willing to serve in exchange for new weapons and armor."

"That can be easily arranged, I believe," Morgana said with a smile. "Come, let us be back to the road," Morgana bade, and we followed her words as if we were already in her service.

We were all on our feet, most of our backs turned to the river when we heard the blowing of a horn, alerting us to the fact we were not alone. The stone, unchanging look on Hjorleif's face told me that he had suspected we were not.

Gawain and his men at arms formed a small shieldwall in front of us, given there were only ten of them. We mercenaries formed a semi circle behind them with Lady Morgana behind us.

We watched with our axes drawn as bandits in boiled leather armor with wooden round shields, axes, and spears charged across the river.

I looked over my shoulder to Morgana, and her hands were glowing with a warm ember rage, her emerald eyes had copper rings about them. She indeed had magic at her fingertips.

The mailed men ahead of us braced hard as our attackers threw themselves at us. Gawain's wall held firm and Hjorleif ordered us to split and attack the edges of the small assault. Hjorleif and Vladi went one direction while Otarr, and the brothers Brennwulf and Baelthor went the other. Hjorleif directed me to stay with the princess, should there be a weakened spot anywhere in the defense.

I stood with ax ready, but simply watched the fight. Trained men at arms and experienced mercenaries had no issue repelling unorganized bandits who were poorly equipped and probably hungry.

During the fight, at only one time did one man manage to make it through the shield wall, but he had the unhappy fate of receiving Morgana's magic powers in the form of a blast of hot fire, scorching his eyes.

The warrior fell to his knees and clawed at his face in agony, screaming madly. For his sake, I approached and ended his life with my ax.

After a short confrontation, what remained of the bandits scattered, leaving their dead among the rocks and the water.

"A shame. This was such a nice resting place but moments ago," said Hjorleif, a round shield now in his other hand.

Otarr sighed and looked at the dead face of a man, a boy, really, who could have been no more than 15 years old. "Sooner to Camelot, the better."

Gawain cleaned his longsword and returned it to the scabbard at his side. "Well fought, friends," he said. "Upon our return, I shall see that King Arthur learns of your aid to me and his sister."

"That would be kind," Hjorleif said, knowing compensation would be coming with Arthur's gratitude.

"Now let us return to the road with no further issue, and let us not stop again till nightfall."

---

As dusk approached, we were but miles from Camelot. We could not see the walls, but we could see the top of the cathedral and the top of the great hall on the horizon. We felt safe knowing we were well within friendly borders now, but we were too tired and too far out to make it to the city tonight.

We set camp and lit fires again. Tonight was a little different in that instead of one large fire from the princess's guard and our own small fire, we built two larger fires side by side and shared in the companionship that comes from spilling blood with one another.

The entirety of Morgana's guard were experienced and hardened men from wars with the Scots to the North, small uprisings here and there, and a not too long ago conflict with the Kingdom of Mercia.

We shared stories, and my own friends relentlessly gave me jokes about being the only Christian amongst them, and being a "filthy Celtic bastard." Gawain and his company found the ribbing funny themselves. Lady Morgana was noticeably absent from those jokes.

"I must visit the trees for a moment. Cadoc, might you accompany a lady and make sure she is not watched?" Morgana asked, rising to her feet and offering her hand.

I rose to my feet and took her hand in mine and left the firelight with her.

"Do not get her lost, Cadoc!" Vladi teased.

"I'll just follow your scent back here!" I quipped, and earned hearty laughter from the men.

"You take their teasing well," Morgana told me as we left ear shot.

"I do," I confirmed. "Tis an important trait to have among them. They are my brothers and only tease because they love," I explained. "That they feel comfortable around Sir Gawain and your men enough to joke says much, my lady."

"When we are apart from our friends, I do wish you would call me Morgana," she told me. I could not see it through the pitch blackness, but I could hear the smile playing on her full lips.

"As you wish," I conceded.

"Thank you," she whispered. I could not see her in the utter darkness, but I felt her breath on my cheek before I felt her lips on my skin. "And thank you for today, standing with me during the fight."

"You clearly did not need me, Morgana," I chuckled.

"I would not have had the heart to end him in the manner you did. The fire blast was self defense, but in my cowardice, I would have failed to deliver him the mercy your ax gave," she said, and wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug, her face resting against my chest.

"I'm a mercenary, Morgana. Dealing death, and having to stare at my potential end every day is part of my trade. You are a princess gifted with the arcane, but you should not have to deal in death," I told her before pressing my lips to the crown of her head.

"Please Cadoc, stay in Camelot for a time," her breath came out a whisper.

"Should Sir Hjorleif take any offers of employment from your brother, I will happily do so."

Morgana sighed in what I took to be relief, and then I felt her breath playing on my exposed neck. "Are you in any hurry to return to the fire, my brave warrior?"

"I am not, but I should expect Gawain and the others to worry if we tarried too long," I warned.

She sighed, letting out a defeated breath. "Then I shall quickly do my business and we shall return. It would be a shame, however, if I spent the night alone in my tent." I could again hear the teasing smile in her voice.

"After the attack today, I can understand why her majesty would prefer a man posted within her tent."

---

I was unsure of what time it was when I felt Lady Morgana gently shaking me awake.

"Hmm?" I mumbled as I came to. "Are you safe, my lady?"

"Yes, very," she assured me. "Unfortunately, after today's events, I find myself unable to sleep."

"Ah. I see," I said calmly. "Do you trust me, Morgana?"

"I do," she confirmed.

"Good," I nodded. "Now lay back," I told her, and she did so. "I once fought with a shield maiden in Norway who could not sleep after a battle unless she either pleasured herself, or was bedded."

"Oh?" Morgana asked, her breath catching.

"Aye. Now, would you prefer to touch yourself and I take my leave, or…."

"No. Please stay," she whispered, her hand on my cheek. "Do not go."

I nodded, and gently placed a hand on her belly, still covered by her cotton dress slip. "Shall I turn away while you help yourself to sleep?"

Morgana shook her head, emerald eyes watching me intently. I watched the lady in the low candle light she had provided us as she reached under the covers. Her eyes never left mine as she shifted slightly, and I saw the outline of her legs move apart. She gasped, and I knew her hand had found her target.

"Oh," Morgana gently moaned as her arm started to slowly move back and forth. "Have you ever watched a lady pleasure herself, Cadoc?"

"Only the shieldmaiden I spoke of earlier," I truthfully told her. "I have never seen such as you, someone as beautiful, as high birthed as you, ravage themselves."

"Ravage myself?" she said with a giggle, her arm increasing speed and pressure on herself. "I would not dare say I have ever ravaged myself."

"Tis the best way to encourage sleep, Morgana," I urged her, watching where I knew her center to be, where I knew her hand was working.

"It feels so good," the lady moaned, arching her back at her own touch. "I shall indeed sleep properly after this."

"I am sure you will," I said with a chuckle. "Do not just rub, my Lady. You should enter yourself with one finger, and then another."

I knew she did as I suggested because her eyes widened and she gasped deeply. "By God, I am positively wet now, Cadoc," she moaned, and I could not stop myself from growling.

"How does the hot, wet heat feel around your finger, milady?"

"Beyond words. I think I shall add another," she told me, and I laughed to myself as her back lifted from her bed even further. "Oh!"

I leaned forward and pressed my hand over her mouth. "You must remain quiet, Morgana," I urged her. "You do not want the camp to know how you are rocking yourself to sleep, do you?"

She violently shook her head no, her eyes screwed shut as she continued to work between her legs. I kept my hand in place to muffle her moans. After a short time, her hips were rocking into her own hand, and I could hear the wet sloshing that was hidden from my sight.

After not much longer, with chest heaving and hips frantically moving, her eyes shot open wide and she groaned into my hand as she lifted off the bed from foot to the base of her neck.

She seemed frozen, suspended for a full minute before coming back down to the bed.

I slowly lifted my hand from her mouth and she breathed in fresh, deeper air. "I do believe I have found a new sleep aid, dear Cadoc. Perhaps next time I shall give you a view as a thank you for your prescription."

I laughed and kissed her forehead. "Sleep well, my lady. Tomorrow we shall finally have you returned safely to home."

"Indeed. Then I can show you a proper lady's bed, she added as she wiped her soiled fingers on the soft fur.