A Song For Jack Ch. 2
By Harbinger
With Kim Crawford (Olivia Holt) and Jack Brewer (Leo Howard)
Tags: Olivia Holt, Kickin' It, TV, Nonerotic
Disclaimer: This story is completely fictional and I do not own Kickin’ It or any of it’s character.

"Food. Thoughts, anybody?" Jack asked from behind the wheel. "I'm not in any specific mood so don't even ask me for what I want."

"Mexican?" Jerry offered, always happy to indulge in his heritage.

"Italian?" Milton countered. After Milton's vote, an awkward silence filled the car.

Kim began wringing her hands, not entirely sure why the air had gotten so thick around her. Her brown eyes flitted around the vehicle from Milton to Jerry, and she realized she was supposed to vote as well. "Uh… Italian sounds fine," she flashed a smile and went back to staring mindlessly out the window.

"Yo Kim, everything alright over there?" Jerry asked, watching her carefully.

"Everything is fine. And thank you for asking," Kim replied flatly. Everything was not, in fact, fine. She was going on a long ass road trip with three strangers armed to the teeth. Jack had subtly told her that people may die around her. Would people die in her name or for her name? The latter was her preferred choice because she didn't ask for it. "I'm just hungry," she said, turning to him with a little pout. She didn't lie.

"Rigatoni, here I come," Jack said with a smirk and added a feather's weight to the gas pedal, just enough to get the passengers laughing.

Jack pulled the Jaguar into a spot in the nearly vacant parking lot, nothing other than a Jeep and a large, gray van. Just after lunch or dinner rush was the gang’s preferred times.

"Kim, stay here," Jack ordered as he and the boys hopped out, heading straight for the Bruno's Electric van.

Kim watched nervously as the three well dressed men walked purposefully to the vehicle that seemed docile enough. Her breathing stopped and her heart pounded as Jerry opened the back door, Milton and Jack's guns already drawn and raised. A moment passed and Jerry closed the door. Jack and Milton returned their guns to their holsters.

"We're all good. Let's go eat," Jack said with a winning smile after having opened Kim's door for her.

"What was that all about?" Kim asked, still flustered.

"Making sure the area's safe," Jack said factorily.

"Do you know how easily you could be stuffed in the back of that van, dead or alive?" Jerry asked with a chuckle. "We just had to make sure it wasn't a van waiting for that."

"What's Milton doing?" Kim tried to ignore Jerry's blunt details.

"He's putting a small tracker on the underside of the bumper," Jack shrugged. "He'll get it on the way out." With that, Jack led them into the quaint little hole in the wall. None of them had ever been there, but Jack always thought these little places were the special ones.

As Kim stepped in, the smell of spices, meats, sauces, and cheeses came to meet her and wrapped her tired senses in an aromatic sanctuary.

"Booth?" Jack asked the hostess before she could speak. "It'll just be us four," he continued.

"Alrighty," the hostess responded, seemingly put off by Jack's take-charge attitude, even in such a simple situation. "Is a window fine?"

"Nope," Jerry answered with a chuckle.

"Something near the back would be preferable," Milton added. Kim just stood back and watched, letting them handle things their way. They really were like commando bodyguards.

"Right this way," she said with an awkward smile. "Anything to drink besides water?" she continued as soon as they had been seated.

"Just coffee, thanks," Jack replied with a quick, curt smile.

"Make that two," Jerry chimed in.

"Three, actually," Milton corrected.

"Just hot tea for me, thanks," Kim said with the group's first polite and earnest smile. I'm gonna have to tip this girl so well, Kim thought to herself.

"I'll be right back with those and some menus," the poor girl said and took off before the odd gentlemen could do or say anything else.

Kim slumped into her seat and rested her chin in one hand, her other arm lying lifelessly on the table.

"Yo, everything alright, chica?" Jerry asked, lightly tapping her hand with one finger.

"Huh? Oh, yeah," Kim said nonchalantly, waving him off with her dead arm. She appreciated he cared, but she hoped he wouldn’t check in like this all the time.

"Milt, order the sausage rigatoni for me, yeah?" Jack asked rhetorically, to which Milton simply nodded. "Kim?" Jack asked as if she should know without seeing the menu.

"Uhh…" Kim hesitated. "Pasta primavera?" she answered with no authority.

"If it's not on there, I'll get you the closest thing," Milton said plainly.

"Great. Now that's settled, let's go out for a smoke," Jack ordered, tapping the confused girl's arm.

"But I don't…."

"I know you don't smoke," Jack said, pulling her out of the booth. He took her hand as they crossed through the quiet hole in the wall and went outside, around to the back.

"What's going on, Jack?" Kim asked, hoping she could somehow keep the ball over in his court. She didn't know what was in his court, or if Jack even had a court. She just knew she felt defensive, but she couldn't even tell herself why.

Jack pulled out his silver cigarette case and selected a cancer stick. "Fuck if I know," he shrugged as he placed the filter end between his lips. "You tell me. What's with the aloofness?"

As he took the first few puffs and the smoke fell from his nostrils, the scent struck Kim and it wasn't unpleasant. "What's in those?" she asked, pointing to the cig.

"Special blend of fine cut pipe tobacco and cloves. Jerry's illegal immigrant dad makes them," Jack explained. "Burns cooler, tastes better, doesn't smell like burning ass and is way cleaner than anything you'll find in a Marb's factory. It's still there, but there's way less cancer."

"Why did you mention that he's an illegal?" Kim asked, happy she was still holding off any real conversation.

"Because he's an employee of yours, that's why. And because we don't hold secrets. These damn teenage white girls keep saying ‘ride or die’ but they don't know what that means. A withheld secret could mean one of us dies, if it's that kind of secret," Jack explained. "So if you dodge me one more time, I will drop your little ass off at home and we all go home. Do you understand me?" Jack almost growled, pointing his cigarette at her.

"I understand," she parrotted back quietly, swallowing hard.

"Great. Now I'll ask you again: what's. wrong."

Kim sighed and chewed her lips, trying to remember what words were. "I can't go out and eat anymore without a team of thugs checking vehicles to make sure I don't get kidnapped." Jack raised a brow at being called a thug, but Kim went on. "I have bodyguards that are closer to the Swiss Guard or the British… whatever you call them. The dudes with the tall black fuzzy hats. I'm traveling with murderous robots!" she finally finished, her hands on top of her braided hair.

"Murderous robots?" Jack repeated with a scoff. "The only people we're going to harm are the people trying to put a bullet in that pretty blonde fucking head of yours!" Jack barked, pushing against her forehead with a finger hard enough to make her take a step back. "Everything we're doing right now is to keep you six feet above ground, yeah?"

"But do you have to be so rude to poor people like that waitress?" Kim thought that was important enough to bring up.

"I'm sorry if our lives of constantly being shot at and chased makes us a little rough around the edges, your majesty," Jack mocked with a deep, sweeping bow.

"Yeah, I get that, but…"

"No, you don't get that. Not yet, but if the three of us do our jobs right, you will." Jack kept eye contact with the young woman as he lifted up his shoe to snuff out the little bit of cigarette that remained. "Is there anything else?" It sounded legitimate enough to Kim. She felt berated after the conversation, but felt like maybe she had found a chink in Jack's armor and he had to protect that weak spot.

"One more thing…" she timidly ventured.

"Yeah?" Jack asked, his hand now in the pockets of his black slacks.

"Do I have anything to fear? From the people after me, or from…" she didn't know how to say it.

"From me?" Jack filled in for her and she gave him a tiny nod, a hot wrench in her stomach from the anxiety of what the answer might be. "As long as you listen to us and stay close, you shouldn't have to worry about them. That's our job. As for me… it's my job to protect you."

Kim let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. For some reason, with just those words and the look in his eyes, she knew he meant it. It was all she needed.

Jack continued anyway. "While we're having this little heart to heart, I'm going to continue being up front. There are going to be times when I feel like I am your overpaid babysitter. There will be times when you'll probably annoy the unholy shit out of me, but I'll know it's not your fault and that you didn't ask for any of this. Until this is over, I will protect you," Jack swore.

Kim found herself sniffling a little and wiping away a stray tear. "Why, Jack? Why do you care so much?" She had to know

"Because you're innocent, Kim," Jack said like it was obvious. "I've watched a lot of people die, Kim. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a good person, either. I've killed a few myself. But those people asked for it. They lived and died by the sword. You don't live by it, so there's no reason you should die by it because some ass in a suit wants you snuffed for whatever reason."

"I really want to hug you. Is that okay?" Kim asked, the lightest little smile on her lips.

"No. No it isn't," Jack replied, crossing his arms. "We're getting too touchy-feely."

"Oh, okay…" Kim said, her head down and her eyes looking at Jack's polished black leather shoes. She felt dejected, but not cripplingly so after Jack's monologue. He wasn't as terrible as a lot of the men in his world, but he was nothing like a teddy bear, either.

"Let's head back inside. The guys probably think something happened," he suggested.

"Yeah, probably a good idea," she said with a forced laugh, her face now dry of tears.

"You okay now?" Jack checked as they headed back towards the entrance.

"Yeah, I think so," Kim said with a real smile.

"Good," Jack replied with his usual straight face. "Whenever you're not, though, come talk to me. I'm no therapist, but it's better than having you scream at a mirror."

"Does anybody… oh! You all finished everything! I don't even need to ask if you need any boxes."

"No, everything was great. I was a little ashamed that I ate it all, but I just couldn't stop!" Kim joked back with the waitress.

"So is the check separate or all on one?"

"Sep…." Jack began, but Kim cut him off.

"All on one," she smiled.

"Alright, I'll be right back with the bill," she smiled at the table and took off.

"You don't have to pay for us, Kim," Jack told her as if the bill would feel like more than pennies to her.

"I can afford it, Jack, trust me," she replied with a proud smile.

"I know. But still, you don't have to."

"Yeah, Kim. That's mad nice of you," Jerry added like he couldn't afford it. Their line of work paid a lot more than peanuts.

"I appreciate what you guys are doing for me. Picking up the bill is literally the least I can do."

Jack tilted his head and his lips quirked up in the tiniest of smiles. Jack's job was usually pretty thankless, so he probably didn't see that coming.

Kim smiled back, but a real beam of light. Their conversation outside had hit home with her. These three men were all putting themselves in harm's way just for her. Just because she never asked to be brought into the shadows. Jack told her he wasn't a good man, but on that, she had to disagree.

"Let's stop here for the night?" Jack asked from the back seat, Jerry behind the wheel.

"Yeah, this works for me," Kim said, not feeling like arguing. This wasn't her idea of a hotel, but it was more of a bed than a car was. It wasn't a Hilton, but she wouldn't complain about a Day's Inn.

The four parked and vacated the Jag's trunk of their various gears and luggage. Kim's single bag was a lot less than she was used to traveling with.

The four reached the front desk and momentarily set down their belongings.

"Two rooms, please? Preferably next to each other." Jack was doing all the talking, as was his way as group leader.

"I can do that. First or second floor?" the attendant asked.

"First?" Kim spoke up, hoping for some kind of say in what was now her life. Jack turned to her briefly, but not in opposition. He almost looked proud of her. Was he pleased that she was learning how to be one of them without trying to be Queen Bitch?

"The four of us need keys for both rooms," Milton added. "If there's a fee for whatever reason, we'll pay it."

"No, there's no fee. There's some stuff for you to sign, and I need to see the ID of whoever's names the rooms are under."

They all looked back and forth at each other, trying to decide whose name would be best to put in the system. Or really any system for that matter. Kim reached into her clutch and retrieved her wallet.

"Jack, is that a good idea?" Milton whispered into the boss's ear.

"We have no reason to believe they're following her actions at this level. She's also the only one of us who won't come on to any kind of radar or scanner, nationally speaking," Jack thought aloud.

"Kimberly Crawford? Like, Crawtec Industries Kim Crawford?" the desk man asked.

"Hi," Kim said with a shy smile. She was used to this, but not in front of people with firearms. Kim's ID and card ran with no issues. She signed the paper and was about ready to go with the guys when the vested young man behind the counter stopped her.

"Uh, Ms. Crawford? I really shouldn't ask, because it's unprofessional and all, but is there any chance we can, you know, take a selfie together?" The dude was about to chew through his lip.

"Let me ask my security staff," she said quickly and turned to Jack. Their cover was easy enough to pull off.

Jack looked the college kid over from head to toe. He bore into his eyes with a glare that could devour souls. "That should be okay. Mr. Krupnik, will you take the picture?" Jack asked his tech associate.

"I don't see why not," Milton responded with an eye roll. Taking pictures of college kids posing wasn't exactly in his five year plan. He was a college age kid, too, but he didn't feel that young.

Kim put her arm around the taller young man's shoulder and gave a winning smile as Milton steadied the desk guy's phone for the picture. He smiled, too, but his eyes gave away how nervous he was to be taking this picture with a tech mogul and model.

Milton snapped two pictures and handed the phone back to him. "Wait three days before you share this picture with friends, family, or social media. We have nets out for her safety. If we find that you have posted this on social media before the three days are up, our friend, Jerry here, will be back.

Jerry looked 'Bryan' dead in the eyes and gave a wolfish smile as he cracked his knuckles and then his neck. "I'd love to come visit you, man."

"Tha… that won't be necessary, I promise," Bryan stuttered as the four walked away.

"I know that's not your style, Princess, but it's moves like that that keep you safe," Milton explained.

"I know," Kim said. "I'm just glad you let him take the picture without snapping the dude's neck," Kim laughed.

"I thought about it," Jack shrugged. Kim whipped her head in his direction so fast she nearly got whiplash. Her brown eyes almost popped out of their sockets and her jaw nearly broke through the floor.

"That was a joke, Kim. Relax, will ya?"

"I can't tell with you yet."

"These are our rooms," Milton said, easing the tension further. "Jerry, pool after we're settled?"

"Dude, you know it," Jerry agreed. "Alright, so me and Milt, you and Chicah?" Jerry guessed at the arrangements.

"Unless there's any complaints," Jack left room for negotiation.

"You're the boss. You and Princess sharing the room just makes sense," Milton concurred. "Jerry can have the bed and I'll crash on the couch."

"Works for me," Jerry shrugged and headed into his room, Milton close behind.

"So me and you get to be roomies?" Kim asked, trying to keep things light.

"It would appear so," Jack said with all the indifference in the world.

This is going to be the most fun ever, Kim thought to herself. "So…"

"No, I don't want to go to the pool, too," Jack cut her off. "By all means, feel free to head down by yourself, though," he offered.

"I was going to ask if you were going to the pool or staying in the room because I don't have a bathing suit. Grabbing a bikini was the last thought in my head when I was fleeing for my life. And besides, I wouldn't go to the pool to have fun while you sit alone in here and stew," she finished in a softer tone than the huff she had started out with.

"Thanks for the concern, really, but I have no problem with 'alone.' And I wouldn't be stewing. Contrary to popular belief, I don't have anything against a show or a good movie." That was more insight to Jack than she had expected. It wasn't much, but it was something.

"Is it okay if I stay here, then, or do you want me to let you be alone?" Kim offered sincerely.

"You're not hurting anything," Jack shrugged as he flopped down on one of the beds. Luckily for them, the room was set with two twins separated by a nightstand instead of just one queen. "Mind if I suit down a little?"

"Make yourself at home," Kim told him as she dug into her bag and pulled out a little hand-held game her company had yet to put out.

"What is that?" Jack asked as he took off his red vest and started unbuttoning his black shirt.

"It's the Crawplay II," Kim said with a smile as she fired up the little device. "It's still in testing, but as the CEO, I get one." She flashed the goofiest, biggest shit grin Jack had seen on her face yet. He even had to suppress a laugh.

"I never took you for a gamer," Jack said cooly.

"Because I'm wearing a blue skirt?" Kim asked with an eyebrow raised. "Don't be so quick to judge, Jack."

Kim was starting to think that this evening would pass without too much pain.