A Song For Jack
By Harbinger
With Kim Crawford (Olivia Holt) and Jack Brewer (Leo Howard)
Tags: Olivia Holt, Kickin' It, TV, Nonerotic
Disclaimer: This story is completely fictional and I do not own Kickin’ It or any of it’s character.

Kim Crawford opened the door of her Seaford Heights beach house and sighed as she tossed her keys into the bowl on her coffee table. Her head pulsed and her shoulders were so tense. Running an electronics company at age twenty was not fun. She knew it wouldn't be. After her dad's passing when she was eighteen, what was she to do? She had a board of directors and what not, but she was still the face and very hands on.

She walked to her fridge, kicking off her golden heels that went with her cloud white dress, a piece that belonged on a Greek goddess. She made it work flawlessly. Kim rummaged around for something to drink, but nothing looked inviting, so she settled for water.

The young CEO straightened, bottle in hand, and froze. The hair stood up on the back of her slender neck and she was afraid to move, to even breath. "H-hello?" Kim ventured to call out to the dark, the only light in the place coming from the moon that dimly illuminated the house through big bay windows.

"Ms. Crawford, we need to talk," a voice answered back from the shadows. It was a serious voice, but it didn't sound menacing or even unpleasant. "You're not in danger. Well, not from me. You are in serious danger, though," the voice told her.

The frightened young woman slowly turned around, not wanting to make any sudden movements. "Who are you?" Kim whispered, but she didn't know why.

"You can ask all the questions you want once we have you moving," the voice replied before stepping in front of one of Kim's many bay windows. He was a man of average height but a very healthy build. He had slicked back hair that went down to mid neck. He was dressed sharply in a three piece suit. She couldn't make out his face, though, only rough details of his silhouette, including a chiseled jawline.

"Safe? Moving? Where are you taking me?" The poor woman was petrified. Who was this suit? Why would she need to go anywhere with him?

"I promise to tell you everything, but we need to move. Now. Take one bag of the things you need most. Then we're hitting the road."

"To where?" Kim shouted, completely hysterical, but the mystery figure remained in complete control.

"To wherever you choose, Ms. Crawford, but we need to get you out of here," he half explained.

"Alright. But if you try anything…" Kim hollowly threatened. She was sure she'd do something, but nothing came to mind at that moment.

"Of course," he nodded. "Now hurry, please," he pressed urgency without being rude and still keeping deadly calm.

Kim did as asked, hurrying off to grab a duffle bag from tennis and filled it with clothes, toiletries, and some pictures that she didn't want to lose. "Okay, I guess I'm ready," Kim said meekly as she entered her front room again. She was alone. "Hello?" she tried.

"Let's go," the suit said as he came back in the room. "We can come back later if you forgot anything personal, but that won't be for a while," he warned.

"Okay," Kim swallowed deeply, trying to accept the information she was just given. "Can you please tell me what's going on," she pleaded. She thought about taking the stranger's hand to add effect, but she didn't think he'd take lightly to that.

"Ms. Crawford, I'm here to, in no exaggeration, save your life."

"Someone is trying to kill me?" Kim asked breathlessly, her hand covering her silver and sapphire necklace. "What did I do? Who did I cross?" Kim couldn't believe anyone would want to hurt her. "I pay staffs well. I give benefits, holiday pay, paid sick days and vacations. I don't even outsource!" Kim was absolutely beside herself trying to figure out what she did wrong.

"I don't know what to tell you," the man stated as he held up his hand, opening the front door and peaking around before waving her on. He reached into a pocket of his black dress pants and pulled out a small device that looked like a kind of beeper. He pressed it once and returned it.

Kim nearly jumped out of her skin when a man in similar dress to the first one came from around the back of her house, a silenced pistol in hand. "We good, boss?" the curly haired underling asked.

"Of course," the leader said as they walked up to a black Jaguar. "After you, Ms. Crawford," the suave man opened the back left door and motioned for her to get in. She did as asked and he took the seat next to her. "Let's go," he ordered to the ginger in the driver's seat.

"Okay. I did everything you said. Now please, please tell me what is happening," Kim downright begged, tears threatening to escape shining brown eyes.

"Ms. Crawford," the leader began in his unsettlingly controlled tone, but Kim cut him off.

"Please, just Kim," she said before setting her shaking hand back down on her lap.

"Kim, someone paid to have you killed. Someone else knew that and hired us to stop you from being killed," he explained.

"So you're the good guys?" she asked, feeling instant relief, but only to a degree. The man smiled, and she was shocked. He did know how to emote!

"Where to, Kim?" the ginger young man behind the wheel asked, currently stopped at a two-way turn.

"Uh… uh… I don't know. I still have no idea what's going on, let alone know where to go," Kim shamelessly admitted. What else was she to do?

"Do you want to stay in California, or go to a different state?" the front man asked.

Kim could finally see his face. Intense hazel eyes that were closer to brown. He had a strong jaw and chin with matching cheekbones, a matching set of little moles, too. The man was handsome, Kim had to admit. He had a very commanding presence that couldn't be ignored, as well.

The discombobulated girl snapped back to the present. "Out of state? You guys do that?"

"If we have to," the curly haired one shrugged. "I don't really care."

"Would you like me to just choose?" the smallest man in the car, the redhead, asked.

"That would actually be nice. I can't really think at the moment," Kim had to accept. Kim's adrenaline from the whole situation was starting to wear off, and general exhaustion set in. Her eyelids were at a record weight, it seemed.

The shot caller noticed Kim's rather haggard look. "It's okay, Kim. You should sleep. You're safe right now," he told her in a softer, almost sympathetic voice.

Kim believed him and decided he was right. There was nothing she could do now, so she rested her head against the cool glass window and drifted to sleep.

"What's the plan, Jack?" Kim recognized the voice to be the little redhead's. "We got Kimberly Crawford out and unharmed. We beat out the Death Squad by minutes. That's as far as the job said. Now it's up to her. That's the contract."

"Little cold, dude." That was the curly haired man. "They'll kill her for sure." That's not what she wanted to hear.

"I know, Jerry. Milton, I know it's the end of the contract, but come on," the leader, Jack, was seemingly trying to find Milton's compassion.

"Alright, but I better get paid for my time," Milton the ginger gave in. "So where are we actually bringing her?"

"Washington. I have a place in Washington State," Jack answered. "We can hang there until we get something worked out."

"Alright. To the Brewer family farm it is," Milton agreed.

"It's not the Brewer Family Farm. You can't have a family farm if there's only one left," Jack scoffed, but the woman pretending to be sleeping didn't find it funny. Would she need to know Jack's backstory? Would they be acquaintances long enough for it to matter? Did she want to know?

"That's totally Debby Downing, dude," Jerry said from the front passenger seat. "Can we put in some tunes or something?" the man asked hopefully.

"Softly," Jack allowed.

"We don't want to wake the Queen," Milton snidely remarked

"Man, I told you it'll be worth your time," Jack said back defensively. "I feel this is something we need to do."

"Feeling some bad karma from the last job?" Milton asked, but he sounded like he meant it.

"Yeah, maybe. I hate when we lose," Jack mumbled, his dark mood seemingly back into place.

"Think we'll lose this one?" Jerry asked as Sam and Dave's "Hold On, I'm Coming" came on quietly.

"No," Jack said. "I don't lose twice in a row."

Sunlight coming through the car window and woke up Kim for the second time, but she figured it was best to actually wake up.

"Hey! Look at that!" Jerry said, oddly enthusiastic. "Kim's up, guys!"

"Morning to you, too," Kim said with a light smile as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "Where are we?"

"At a gas station," Jerry answered without thought or pause.

"She can see that, you boob!" Milton snipped at the friendly idiot. Kim had to try not to laugh. "We're just at the northern tip of California. We'll be in Oregon in an hour or so." Kim was grateful for the real answer.

"Where are we going?" Kim played dumb. She knew exactly where they were going. Well, kind of.

"We're going to Washington State," Milton said. "It's the best place for you until Jack can sort things out. I don't think he knows what to do yet."

"Jack?" Kim played dumb again.

"Jack's the leader of our team. He's the dude that was in your house to get you last night," Jerry explained. "He calls all the shots and stuff."

"Ah," Kim nodded in understanding. "Where did he go?" she asked out of sheer curiosity.

"He went inside to pay up," Milton answered. Milton's indifference was palpable to Kim. After having eavesdropped, she understood it a little more. It was business, nothing to take personally.

Kim opened the door just a crack before Jerry reached back and shut it. "Yo, what are you doing?" Jerry asked like he had been struck.

"Going into the gas station?" Kim asked with a raised brow. "Am I not allowed to?"

"Jerry, go with her," Milton flicked his head and the taller man nodded. "Bring me something back? Just a coffee?"

"Of course," Kim smiled, happy for a chance to get Milton points.

"Oh, you don't have to. I was hoping Jerry...."

"No, really. It's no problem," Kim cut him off and smiled before she got out of the car. Jerry scrambled to get out and went straight to her side.

"Is this close of surveillance really necessary?" Kim mumbled as they neared the station's entrance.

"Yup," Jerry answered, popping the 'p' at the end of the word. Kim just rolled her eyes.

As soon as they entered the building, Jerry grabbed Kim's shoulder and pushed her down to the floor. "Stay here!" Jerry ordered as he removed his silenced Colt 1911

Kim's eyes popped wide when she heard the signature 'thwip' of a bullet shot from a silencer. She had no idea where anybody was, so she stayed put like Jerry had told her. Moments later, she heard grunting and the rcket of a shelf falling over. More likely, it was knocked over.

A hand grabbed Kim's shoulder from behind and pulled her up. She nearly died from fright, but Jack's voice told her, "Move. Now!" His strong hand pushed her forward as he discharged his weapon three more times, Jerry right behind him. Kim still hadn't seen who was shooting at them.

Milton brought the high performance vehicle to life when he saw how fast the three were hauling ass back. "Everyone okay?" Milton asked as the car's passengers reloaded into the seats.

"Peachy. Just drive," Jack snapped as he rolled down the window and stuck out half of his torso, his gun still in hand. After a moment, he pulled himself back into the vehicle and exhaled deeply, satisfied they weren't followed.

"What the hell was that?" Kim shrieked, her adrenaline pumping and her nerves absolutely fried.

"That, or they, is why we had to grab you last night. Those were Black Dragon Assassins, the baddest the underworld has to offer," Jack explained. "They weren't the Death Squad, though. I think those guys were just tracking us and we happened to bump into each other."

"How long have they been after us?" Kim asked, trying to get grounded.

"Probably since they went to snuff you out and found out we got you first," Jerry told her without reservation.

Kim was speechless. What was she supposed to say to the information she just received? Grade A assassins were after her! The only thing keeping her alive were these three strangers she knew next to nothing about. Two days ago she was the CEO of a Forbes Fortune 500 company. Now she was on the road to Washington State to a farm in the middle of nowhere. The other option was getting a bullet to the back of her head execution style. This was not the start to the weekend she expected.

"Milton, can you pull into this rest stop?" Jack asked his long-time friend. "I think it'd be best if we all got out and stretched our legs a bit, yeah?"

"Sure. Let's do that," Milton agreed with no emotion whatsoever. He slowed down and inched into the turn before bringing the car to a stop. "There aren't assassins after us or anything."

"We're going to have to have a talk later, Milton," Jack whispered in the driver's ear from the back seat before the car's occupants all got out. "Kim, a minute?"

"Uh, yeah. What's up?" the nervous young woman asked the man that seemingly held her fate in his hands.

The two walked some distance from Jerry and Milton before Jack began. "Kim, I don't want want to sugar coat things. That's not my style. Mind if I smoke?" Jack asked. It seemed sincere, like she could actually say no.

"We're outside, so go ahead." Kim made it subtly clear that she wasn't a fan of being in a closed space with what she considered a nasty habit.

"Thanks," Jack said as he reached into his black jacket's pocket to remove a silver cigarette case. "I'm guessing you don't?" he asked as he pulled one out. It didn't look store bought.

"Oh god no," Kim laughed. "I think it's a nasty habit, but you do you," she said with a friendly smile. She really didn't know Jack that well. Or at all, really. All she knew is that he was a dangerous man with at least two dangerous friends.

"That's fair," Jack nodded. "Anyway," he said as he lit his smoke, "your life just got a lot more complicated. It's not over, but it's different for the foreseeable future."

"What do you mean it's not over?" Kim asked with a chuckle. "There are people trying to kill me. I'm on the road to Washington with three men I don't know."

"This is all true," Jack confirmed. "But you aren't dead, right? Follow my lead and do what we tell you, and you can keep not being dead."

"So far this doesn't sound bad."

"I'm not done, though," Jack said, holding up his hand. His knuckles were cut a little and a bit swollen, Kim observed. He had been in some kind of scuffle not long ago. "We weren't even supposed to come this far with you."

"I know, Jack," she said softly. "I overheard you guys talking last night," she admitted. "You guys are going beyond. Why are you putting so much into helping me?"

Jack paused and took a long draw from his cigarette, his other hand in his dress pants pocket. "Me and the guys run a business, Kim. It's pretty simple. But what's not simple is the hit ordered on you. Their job doesn't end until you're dead, they are, or we kill who called the hit," Jack explained.

"So even though you're job is done, it's… it's not done?" Kim was completely confused and even though she'd never admit it, pretty damn scared.

"That's where things on my end are confusing," Jack said, keeping straight eye contact. "Officially, our contract is over. Morally, we have a lot of work to do."

"I can… I can pay you," Kim told him, her voice almost pleading. "Please? I can afford it. I can give you guys more than your normal rate."

"You need help. And we're going to help you," Jack told her as he put out the last little bit of his smoke. "It's going to take time, and it's going to be incredibly dangerous for the four of us, but it's what we do."

"What do I… what do we do?" Kim was still trying to grasp her upturned world.

"We're going to spend some time off the grid until we can work some things out. You can return to your usual life, but until things are back to normal, we'll be part of your normal. If you want to stay alive, that is."

"Thank you, Jack," Kim said with the biggest smile, a tear of joy and relief slipping down her cheek. She wanted to give him a big bear hug, but one look at the sharp dressed, literal killer, told her he wouldn't be too comfortable with that.